This Greek salad will go great with your chicken gyro or can be served alone with chicken on it and grilled pita on the side.
Ingredients for gyro:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
In a resealable plastic bag, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon garlic, mustard and oregano; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic; cover and refrigerate until serving.
Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Lightly brush each pita with olive oil on one side and using a grill pan brown the outside of the pita. Spoon chicken onto each pita bread. Top with yogurt mixture and onion; fold in half.
Ingredients for salad:
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- grape tomatoes or whole tomato, chopped
- seedless cucumber, chopped
- canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- kalamata olives, pitted
- whole pepperoncinis
- canned sliced pickled beets, quartered
- thinly sliced red onion, optional
- crumbled feta cheese
- your favorite Greek dressing
Assemble all ingredients and top with dressing when ready to serve.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe from Culinary Collage.