November 6, 2011

WHOLE WHEAT PEANUT BUTTER KISSES

These are a new take on the traditional version of this cookie with the substitution of whole wheat flour and dark chocolate.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar, plus additional for rolling cookies
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 48 dark chocolate kisses, unwrapped
Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine sugars, butter and peanut butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt; continue beating until well mixed. Add flour and baking soda. Continue beating until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Roll balls in sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 6 minutes and press one kiss into the center of each cookie and continue to bake for 3 - 5 more minutes or until very lightly golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks.

 Click here for a printable version of this recipe from Culinary Collage.

10 comments:

Pam said...

I love that you used whole wheat... they look wonderful!

Culinary Collage said...

Thanks Pam.....I've been using whole wheat flour in a lot of my cookies and there doesn't seem to be taste difference.

P.s. I love your blog!

Online Foods Menus said...

The cookies are looking lovely, so cute. All of, the title of the post is the most captivating & interesting.

Unknown said...

Such a gourmet version of the old standby! Sounds nutritious AND delicious!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Love the twist on an old favorite.

Culinary Collage said...

Thanks Angela.....this were a big hit when I made them.

Carolyn Jung said...

An oldie but goodie made even more healthful. Yum!

Culinary Collage said...

Thanks Carolyn...I try to use whole wheat in most of my cookies now.

Belle (tinkeringinthekitchen) said...

this looks so yummy! Ive bookmarked it ready to get the ingredients next time I brave the supermarket, thanks! Belle

Culinary Collage said...

Hi Belle - I checked out your blog and it's lovely. I have to say that your recipes look so much better than anything I ate when I was across the pond. Keep Tinkering!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails