This soup along with a nice loaf of bread makes a nice hearty meal.
- 1 stick butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups white corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of milk (2% or whole)
- 1 cup redskin potatoes diced
- 1-1/2 cups of seafood of your choice cut into small pieces (I like to use shrimp, scallops and salmon)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In another saucepan, combine the corn, potatoes and chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the boiling stock mixture slowly into the saucepan with the roux, whisking briskly so it doesn't lump as you pour. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring to a boil. The mixture will become very thick.
In a small saucepan warm the milk; stir it into the thick corn and potato mixture. Add the seafood and let simmer for an additional 5 to 7 minutes until the seafood is cooked through. You may also wish to substitute leftover chicken breast cut up in place of the seafood mixture.
Add the nutmeg. Salt and pepper, to taste and enjoy.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe from Culinary Collage.