This is one of those great comfort foods of all times and works great as a meal or served as a side dish.
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 pound whole wheat medium pasta shells (or pasta of choice)
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Gruyere
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish with one tablespoon of the butter.
In a heavy saucepan melt 6 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking. Add mustard, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
In a pot of salted boiling water cook pasta until just al dente, and drain well. In a large bowl stir together pasta, sauce, cheeses, and 1 cup of the Parmesan.
In a small bowl stir together bread crumbs, remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and remaining tablespoon of butter and sprinkle evenly over macaroni.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe from Culinary Collage.