- olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and cut in half
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 portabella mushroom, cut into 1/2 slices
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced into 1/8 disks
- 1/2 cup balsamic glaze (I made my own - see recipe below)
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 2 whole wheat ciabatta rolls
Pre-heat bar-b-que grill. Using a grill pan or foil, roast vegetables coated with olive oil starting with onions and red bell peppers. Once onions and peppers are partially cooked add the mushrooms and zucchini. Add your glazed to vegetables and roast for a couple more minutes.
Slice your rolls in halves and brush with olive oil on the inside and toast on the grill. Once your rolls are toasted add your vegetables and top with mozzarella to complete your sandwich.
Ingredients for balsamic glaze:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (optional)
- 2/3 cup of red wine
- 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
Using a skillet, sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Add sugar and continue to sauté until shallots and garlic are cooked. Add bullion, wine and vinegar and simmer until this reduces by more than half.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe from Culinary Collage.