This will stand up to any deli Reuben sandwich in town. The beef is so tender from slow cooking that it melts in your mouth.
- 2 - 3 pound corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 6 carrots chopped in thirds
- 2 onions quartered
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 can of beer (ginger ale if fine)
- 8 slices of good rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 jar of sauerkraut or coleslaw if you prefer
- Russian dressing or Thousand Island
Place carrots, onions, brown sugar and water into bottom of crock pot. Add corned beef. Spread mustard evenly over corned beef and add seasoning packet from corned beef. Add beer over top. Cook for 10 - 11 hours or until tender. Remove from crock pot to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
Assemble sandwich. Butter the outside of the bread for grilling. Spread your Russian dressing on the inside of the top to your sandwich (this can be served on the side too). Add your cheese, sauerkraut (or coleslaw) and sliced corned beef. Place on griddle at medium heat and grill until browned on each side.
I hope that you enjoy!